Premier League Codexery

Goodison Park

A historic Walton venue that hosted World Cup matches before the men's team moved to a new stadium.

Goodison Park is a football stadium located in Walton, Liverpool, two miles north of the city centre. Built to serve as the home ground for Everton, it opened its doors in 1892 following a split from the club's previous home at Anfield. The venue hosted matches during the 1966 World Cup and numerous other international fixtures throughout its history. The all-seated capacity of Goodison Park is 39,414.

Opened
1892
Location
Walton, Liverpool
Home Club
Everton (men's team)
Capacity
39,414

Verified Timeline

188918901892191019662025

Lore & Background

The journey to Goodison Park began after a bitter dispute between Everton's committee and John Houlding, Anfield's majority owner. Tensions escalated over rent increases, which rose from £100 in 1889 to £250 by 1890, alongside disagreements about selling only Houlding's brewery products and using his pub as changing rooms. A critical flashpoint involved a covenant for an access road on land owned by John Orrell, a dispute Everton was aware of. After Houlding proposed a limited company that was voted down by the board, Everton vacated Anfield in 1892, leaving Houlding to form Liverpool FC. George Mahon stepped forward with an option to lease 'Mere Green Field' off Stanley Park. On 25 January 1892, when hecklers claimed no new site could be found, Mahon revealed the land was already secured. The stadium was named Goodison Park because it was built against Goodison Road, which itself was named after a local landowner or area, not after civil engineer George Goodison.

In Their Own Story

The construction of the new ground required significant effort and capital. Everton rented the Mere Green field from owner Christopher Leyland before eventually buying it outright. Local contractor Mr Barton excavated and levelled the site, installing drainage and laying turf at a cost of £552 for 29,471 square yards. Architectural advisor J. Prescott oversaw the project while Walton-based firm Kelly Brothers erected two uncovered stands accommodating 4,000 spectators each, plus a third covered stand for 3,000. The combined cost for these stands was £1,640. This move was supported by philanthropists William Hartley and Robert William Hudson, who backed Mahon against Houlding's faction. The local press took sides: the Liverpool Daily Post celebrated Houlding's ousting as shaking off an 'incubus,' while the Tory-supporting Liverpool Courier defended him. Despite the internal friction, the club secured its new home, ensuring it kept its name and identity while leaving Houlding with an empty stadium.

Reader's Guide

Visiting Goodison Park means stepping into a venue that served as Everton's primary ground from 1892 until their move in 2025. The site is situated two miles (3 km) north of Liverpool's city centre in the Walton area. Fans can walk the same grounds where international fixtures were played, including the historic 1966 World Cup and the 1910 FA Cup Final. The stadium currently operates with an all-seated capacity of 39,414, having transitioned to host Everton Women after the men's team relocated to the Hill Dickinson Stadium. While the original uncovered stands built by Kelly Brothers are part of its early history, the modern structure reflects decades of evolution. For those interested in the site's origins, the location is defined by its proximity to Goodison Road and the former Mere Green Field, where George Mahon famously produced the lease option from his pocket during a heated board meeting.

Did You Know?

More in Stadium & Culture

Related in Premier League

Links follow this subject's own source article.

Elsewhere in the Premier League universe

Open in the interactive codex →